PGA REACH, the 501(c)(3) Foundation of the PGA of America, will further impact lives through golf with the PGA WORKS Fellowship program, by expanding to eight PGA Sections during 2018.
The PGA WORKS Fellowship program aspires to be the most valuable entry-level employment opportunity for individuals from diverse backgrounds to garner experience in all facets of the golf industry with a focus on foundation programming. The PGA of America recognizes that it will be defined by how our commitment to diversity and inclusion resonates throughout our programs and practices. This commitment is vital to the health and relevance of the Association’s business and the game overall.
Designed to help establish a deep bench of diverse talent who are prepared to ascend into key employment positions within the game and business of golf, the Fellowship is a 12-month paid position funded by PGA REACH. PGA WORKS Fellows work in a PGA Section office, where their role is consistent with the mission and purpose of PGA REACH and the host PGA Section’s foundation.
The next phase of the Fellowship will include five additional opportunities—bringing the total to eight fellows—in the following PGA Sections: Middle Atlantic, Carolinas, Michigan, New Jersey, Gateway, Northern Ohio, Southern Ohio and South Florida. The long-term goal of the program is to have a Fellowship in all 41 PGA Sections.
“All career paths start with awareness and opportunity, and providing men and women from diverse backgrounds entry into the golf industry is a priority for PGA REACH,” said Ryan Cannon, Senior Director, PGA REACH. “We’re thrilled to create new possibilities through the PGA WORKS Fellowship for diverse individuals to pursue careers in golf.”
For last year’s program launch, PGA Fellows were placed in three PGA Sections:
• Tajma Brown, of Wilmington, Delaware, who holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Hampton University and a Master’s Degree from West Virginia University in Sports Management, worked with the Middle Atlantic PGA Section. A moving video telling the story of Brown’s Fellowship was released today. “In five years, I see myself working with a task force at the PGA to help bring more women and other minority groups into the game. I believe that to tackle the issue of diversity and inclusion in golf, it must start with the marketing and promotion of programs that already exist.”
• Jessica Asbury, of Columbia, South Carolina, a Pfieffer University graduate, worked with the Carolinas PGA Section.
• Christina Paulsen, of Ridgewood, New Jersey, a Rutgers University graduate, worked with the New Jersey PGA Section.
Asbury and Brown are both attending the 2018 PGA Merchandise Show this week.
PGA WORKS Fellowship candidates:
• Successfully apply through their host PGA Section
• Are graduates of ANY undergraduate or graduate degree program within the last 12 months
• Are passionate about diversity and inclusion in the game and business of golf
• Are willing to consider a career in the golf industry
• Believe in the mission of PGA REACH
For more information on PGA REACH and PGA WORKS Fellowships, please visit: PGAREACH.org.
About PGA WORKS
PGA WORKS is the umbrella brand for all workforce diversification programs within The PGA of America. PGA WORKS is an intentional effort to evolve the demographic composition of the golf industry’s workforce through a variety of programmatic efforts, including leadership development, fellowships, internships, scholarships, career expos and emerging leader programs.
About PGA REACH
PGA REACH is the 501(c)(3) charitable foundation of the PGA of America. The mission of PGA REACH is to positively impact the lives of youth, military and diverse populations by enabling access to PGA Professionals, PGA Sections and the game of golf.
About the PGA of America
The PGA of America is one of the world’s largest sports organizations, composed of PGA Professionals who daily work to grow interest and participation in the game of golf. For more information about the PGA of America, visit PGA.org, follow @PGA on Twitter and find us on Facebook.
Michael Abramowitz, PGA of America email@example.com or 561/624-8458
Nadine General, Dixon Schwabl Nadine_General@dixonschwabl.com or 585/545-8227
Chelsea Hellems, Dixon Schwabl Chelsea_Hellems@dixonschwabl.com or 585/643- 9436